24.10.10

Maggen Calls It Balance

So...I had a shitty day today.  I guess it was bound to happen.  Yesterday was the WAESOL Conference so I only had a one day weekend.  I did a couple loads of laundry.  It stopped raining and I was completely out of food so a trip to Trader Joe's was in order.  I got on the bus as usual but the bus was really slow on takeoff.  Turns out the bus was having problems.  My bus broke down.  I usually take the 48 but the 8 passes the same stop where we broke down at.  It doesn't stop at the exact same place near Trader Joe's but I was told that one of the stops is only 2 blocks from where I normally get off.  It was pouring rain at this point.  Also, the umbrella that I bought in Taiwan that has lasted me 4 years broke this week so I did not have an umbrella on my person at time.  I was also wearing a sweatshirt instead of a coat, for example, that might provide some level of rain protection.  I got turned around because I was at a different place than usual so I ended up heading the wrong way at first.  After I had realized I was going the wrong way, I turned around just in time to get soaked by some asshole driving through a puddle.  Did I mention that I was wearing Chucks as well?  So I squished and sloshed up the hill to Trader Joe's and got some delicious and reasonably priced groceries, including some chevre with honey that I'm going to eat on the mini baguettes that I have in my freezer.  On my way back, it had stopped raining but it was still pretty slick, especially since downhill momentum can be troublesome.  I stepped on some diamond plating over some sort of utility thing and slid.  I scraped my knee which just made me mad.  I also messed up my ankle even more.  It's been bugging me for a while but that just aggravated it.  I had to wait a long time for the bus because it's Sunday and it is only supposed to run every half hour which in reality means every 45 minutes.  I was wet and cold and hurting when I got home.  I accidentally slammed the door because the doors are really light and I have my window open which makes it really easy to do.  When I came back into the kitchen, Time was rinsing his rice with more brooding and malice than the grains deserved.  Then he started yelling at me about slamming doors.  I tried to apologize and let him know that I will try to avoid doing that in the future but he wasn't hearing it.  He called me a bitch which set me off.  I started crying and I was all kinds of pissed.  It was 6 o'clock in the evening and he was mad at me for waking him up.  If it were midnight, I would definitely see him being angry but it was evening.  Also, I said I was sorry and that I would try to fix the problem in the future.  After a while, he came back in and apologized and said he didn't know what came over him.  He had a tough day too I guess but that still doesn't justify what he said or how he approached the situation.  At Trader Joe's, I bought veggie broth so I could finally use the leeks and potatoes that I bought at the Farmer's Market last weekend to make soup.  I started cooking the onions and garlic while I was chopping the leeks but I was so upset that I left them too long that I burned the garlic and had to start over again.  Anyway, the soup turned out great.  I put it through the blender so it is really creamy despite only having a little bit of butter to saute the garlic and no cream whatsoever.  Time and I talked it out and everything is fine now.  He really liked my soup.  I am bringing it in to work tomorrow to share with everyone.  I'm proud of how it turned out.  Tomorrow I have to make brownies to bring in on Tuesday since I told Ka Yun I would to repay him for lunch on Thursday.
On a happier note, Friday was the AmeriCorps Launch Day.  Aaron and Evan both cancelled on me so I ended up going alone.  There was 900 AmeriCorps volunteers in one room.  It is amazing since each one will serve at least 1700 hours which means that 1.5 million hours of community service were represented there.  That is an amazing thought.

No comments: