9.10.10

Self-Awareness 101

I've been busy busy busy as of late.  Weekends less so, but it is a necessary respite.  Christine Gregoire, governor of this fine state, had to reduce the budget by 6.3% to compensate for shortfalls.  As part of the cuts, funding for citizenship programs was eliminated.  This means that as of December 1, there is a distinct possibility that my program will be cut and the people that I work with have to find new work.  ACRS is fighting it but there are no guarantees.  It is a stressful time for everyone but I find it coming up at odd times.  I have to think about it when I'm making copies.  Will we go through that many in a month and a half?  It is really sad.  I will still have a place because of Americorps but I won't be able to keep doing what I'm doing.  I am starting to get into the swing of things.  I've discovered some things about myself.

  • I love teaching.  I always kind of knew that in some way, shape or form but now I know for sure.  My classes are the highlight of my week.  It brings me so much joy and satisfaction.
  • I really am as altruistic as I always hoped I was.  I sort of told myself that I would help people when I got done with school but never had to prove it.  I'm glad that I can deliver on all of those promises I made to myself.
  • I need my friends.  I hate not having them here.  I'm trying to deal without them but it isn't easy.  They are the ones who give me strength.
  • I can make do on my own.  Although my friends and family are thousands of miles away, I am finding a way to cope.  Cooking feeds my soul.  Sharing the food I make amplifies the feeling.  I brought in mahi mahi curry on Monday and brownies on Thursday.  Teaching is filling a hole too.  I make a difference.  What I do is not unique.  I help people fill out forms.  That is basically what I do.  The will to do it is the rare thing.  That knowledge gives me comfort.
I will try to post more.  I know there are a few people who follow these scribblings of mine so I want to make sure there is something to look at.

No comments: