28.11.10

Resolution Revolution

Time took time to talk to me today.  Alliterations aside, I think it went well.  I'm glad that we can have a reasoned discussion.  He's not very good at conflict mediation because that's not his style of communication.  He's a storyteller so he kept giving anecdotes rather than telling me what he requires in order for the household to function.  I tried to be as clear as possible about the changes that I need made.  We agreed to wait 10 minutes before talking when angry.  I hope he can hold to this when the need arises.  He was kind of condescending when we talked because he kept using phrases like "I guess I expected you to act like an adult and know what to do."  I find that highly ironic since the immature actions were all his.  I admitted my wrongdoing but emphasized that none of it was the least bit intentional.  He apologized for his hurtful words but I don't think that he truly understood that the words weren't what really mattered.

I explained as clearly as I could that I was most disturbed by the actions that he took which did nothing to solve whatever problem was at hand.  He still believes that his anger is not the main problem, but communication is.  While I believe our communication leaves a lot to be desired, his outbursts are the reason why we need to improve communication.  I can't do anything to change his anger so I focus on what I can change.  I hope this works to solve things.

In other news, I went out with Russ and Beth on Friday to see Harry Potter 7.  I was really happy with it and of course, I cried when Dobby died.  After the movie, we went out to dinner at a pretty swanky place.  The executive chef was on the original Iron Chef and is a James Beard award winner.  I had the chicken souvlaki. Russ had a bacon cheeseburger (quelle surprise!) and Beth had the red panang prawn curry bowl.  From the wait staff, it seemed the upscale version of Hooters.  All of the girls needed a sandwich.  After the whole "fat ass" debacle, I'm thinking about size more than I have been.  I guess it's kind of a good thing that I haven't had size on my mind so much lately.  Also, my clothes are fitting looser than they were when I got here so thank you, city life/ridiculous hills of Seattle!

No comments: