6.2.09

...Yeah, About That

When I last posted, I was on Luis's computer so I wanted to keep it short. Thus, I left out a lot of details. Like the 3 hour fog delay on flight from Munich to Krakow. I don't really mind delays terribly except when I have already boarded the aircraft. Did I mention that two of the three hours were aboard the plane? So yeah, even though I had the whole row to myself, the armrests only went up part of the way so I couldn't pull an air-couch. The flight from O'Hare to Munich was actually quite nice. The food was bad but it's airline food so my hopes weren't terribly high. Traversing the entire O'Hare Airport with 2 massive suitcases in addition to carry-on and messenger bag was quite an adventure. One of the attendants at the transfer trams saw my struggle and came to help me. By that point I was so flustered that I was on the verge of tears. Having someone help me and make me take a deep breath was very helpful. I know I'm working through this backward but right now my mind is kind of wrapped up in the whole new environment. The flat I stayed in the past two nights is amazing! I got two free nights through a rental agency that works with foreign students on the off-season. I found my perfect flat last night, as I already said, but hopefully today I will be signing my lease and moving in there. I'm trying to pick up more Polish but I've only been here for 2 1/2 days so not a whole lot of progress has been made.
On another note, screw London, they should refer to Krakow as the Foggy City. It has been ridiculous! You can't see the tops of buildings and I tried to take a few pictures last night but that didn't go so well at first because flash + fog=frame full of white unintelligibility. Learned that lesson very quickly. We ate at the restaurant below the hotel my parents will be staying at last night. The food was really good. I had this mushroom soup thingy. It was surprisingly good given that I hate most mushrooms but I ordered it anyway(no, it wasn't an accident, they have English on a lot of menus here). Chelsea, the other girl from Grand Valley, ordered the bigos, which is a really traditional mixture of meat and saurkraut. It was HUGE! They served in a bread bowl that was bigger than my head and completely filled with the bigos. She gave a good effort but she couldn't even eat half of it. I dare the Man Vs. Food guy to give that one a go. I tried some and it was really tart and intense but so good! Please people, comment on my blog. I'm writing in this format so people can know what's going on. I don't if you look unless you write to me.

2 comments:

Theresa MIllin said...

Sorry about the stuggle at the terminal...I really did think we dropped you off at the right spot. At least you had plenty of time. And don't worry about the fog, I'm sure it will get better when things start to warm up. Good for you for eating something with mushrooms in it!
Talk to you soon!
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

CHELSEA!!! I'm happy to hear you made it! where is your flat? i'm looking forward to you posting LOTS of pictures on facebook sometime... hang in there with the weather...it will be awful for a little bit but i promise it will get better! In may you won't want to leave! Have a GREAT time this semester :) i will definitely be an avid reader of your blog...I miss Krakow SOOOOO much!

trzymaj sie,
Kristen