7.3.09

The Black Death is White, Who Knew?

So, I'm still sick but I've been getting a little stir crazy. I decided to go out to the Franc-xico mixer. Even with the coughing and everything, it's been driving me nuts to stay in while all of my flatmates go out. I wish we had a TV for stuff like this. Then we could have movie nights and lower key get togethers that don't involve going out to a club. Anyway, I figured since it was a house party, it would be quieter and there wouldn't be nearly as much smoke. I'm glad I went to it. They played Latin music pretty much the whole time so we all got mini salsa lessons from the Mexican guys. Since I've been MIA from all of the parties this week, it felt really nice to have people asking where I've been and how I'm doing. It's nice to know that people notice my absence. Unfortunately, even with the mitigating circumstances at this party, I still have no voice today. I'm being lazy all day and definitely not going out tonight. Everyone is sick! I wouldn't let anybody kiss me on the cheek last night because I was afraid of spreading my plague even further. I think tomorrow Chelsea and I will go walk around Kazimierz. That district is full of really cool cafes and restaurants. It's the old Jewish district of Krakow so there is a lot of history. On Wednesday, Melanie and I went there to visit the Jewish Cemetery. She made me get out of the house since fresh air is supposed to be good for your health. It's not quite so good when that fresh air has smog and dust in it but it's the thought that counts, right? The cemetery was so peaceful. It was a very nice place to take a walk. It looks like nature has just taken its course and the graves are just stacked up one on top of the other. It looks like the ruins of an ancient civilization. After we walked around there for a while, we went to this really awesome cafe bar called Alchemia. I got a kickass latte and this really yummy cake. All of that cost 12.50 zloty so less than $5. That'll do, pig. That'll do. The atmosphere is really boho and cool. They don't have electric lights; it's just candles everywhere. Also, as a doorway from one room to the next, they have a wardrobe which is really fun. I definitely want to go back there but with more than 400 cafes, pubs and restaurants in Krakow so there are just way too many others to check out.

No comments: