10.5.09

Why You Should Never Light Spirytus On Fire

Last weekend, all of the flatmates and I went over to the Greek flat. It is called the Greek flat because Ilias (the guy who Mom thinks looks like Mark Ruffalo), Antonis (actually from Cyprus but he speaks Greek so close enough for our purposes) and Maria (Italian but she gets overruled by the two boys for the name of the flat) live there. We went over for what we were hoping would be Greek or Italian food but it was not to be. Maria made potatoes, kielbasa, and two different salads. One of the salads did have kalamata olives which made me happy. Later in the night, we got to beverages. Eventually, they cracked open the Spirytus. Apparently, that is Polish word for rocket fuel because it is 95% alcohol. I generally avoid it for what turns out to be a good reason. Being 190 proof, it doesn't take a whole lot to light this stuff on fire. I was just wondering how long it would take for it to burn out but that was not for me to know. I'd never lit alcohol on fire in a glass before so this was new territory for me. I stole Thibaut's lighter and set it aflame without difficulty (big bloody surprise there). I just let it burn and it was going for about 3 minutes when Thibaut asked if I was going to drink it. I said no, that I was just going to watch it burn. He said something to the effect of "You can't do zat. Ze glass, she will break." Literally, 5 seconds later...
Yep, cut in half as if by a light saber. It was scary but also really cool. Later in the night, as punishment for breaking one of their shot glasses, Antonis and Thibaut (French shower bag, that he is) made me do a shot of Spirytus. My stomach isn't terribly strong in the first place and I had been having stomach cramps and general yuck type feelings earlier in the day. I was not keen on the idea but they made me do it anyway. I took the shot and obviously wanted to chase it with something as I had just drank something not intended for human consumption. I had my little plastic cup of water right there for support. Went to grab the cup but Monsieur Le Douche held my wrist down. I went for the cup with the other hand and he just slammed his hand down on the cup, breaking it. Needless, to say, I am not Thibaut's biggest fan. Well, I was planning on going over to Chelsea's flat while everyone else went to Kitsch. I had to drop by our flat to drop some things off but as soon as I walked in the door, I puked. I wasn't even drunk! Heavy, greasy Polish food + Spirytus + bad stomach as preexisting condition= spew in the hallway. Fail!

No comments: